YUKON, October 27, 2017 — The Ta’an Kwäch’än Council (TKC), Da Daghay Development Corporation (DDDC), along with the Governments of Canada and Yukon, and the City of Whitehorse, are pleased announce the opening of the River Bend development in Whistle Bend today. The first of three buildings, providing 14 housing units to Yukoners, will open on November 1.
The project shows collaboration between governments to create healthy, safe housing in Yukon communities. In each building, units will be available to Ta’an Kwäch’än citizens and Yukon Housing Corporation’s social housing clients. The second building will open in December, and the third in early 2018. In total, the new housing development will provide 42 affordable housing units for Yukoners.
“Today four Ta’an Kwäch’än Council families, and in the future eight more, will call River Bend development ‘home’. As Citizens experience the benefits of affordable housing, Ta’an Kwäch’än Council is proud to be part of solving the housing crisis in a concrete way. To reach this day, we appreciate the contributions of Citizen labourers, electricians, carpenters and contractors. We are grateful for the dedication of our corporation Da Daghay, and the strong collaborations with Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation, Yukon Housing Corporation, the City of Whitehorse, and the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce that have helped put bricks and mortar in place and opened doors for future agreements.”
“Our government is committed to working with all partners to develop and implement local solutions to housing. This investment is helping Yukoners access safe and affordable housing that meets their needs.”
“The River Bend housing development project is an example of all orders of government and local businesses coming together to address the health and well-being of Yukoners through secure, affordable housing. Together, we can make real progress and find tangible solutions to housing that will benefit healthy, vibrant, and sustainable Yukon communities.”
“We know that safe, adequate housing that meets the needs of families and individuals, particularly the most vulnerable, is a key component of healthy communities. This housing development is truly a collaborative partnership recognizing that together, we can address Yukoners housing needs through every aspect of the housing continuum.”
“We are delighted to announce the grand opening of River Bend today and showcase what successful partnerships can bring to the Yukon. This development is 100% locally sourced, on budget and ahead of schedule. Today marks a new chapter in Yukon development, and a major step forward in addressing the affordable housing crisis.”
“The City is pleased to have supported the River Bend project through our Development Incentives Policy. This is a proud day for the Ta’an Kwach’an Council and its development corporation, as affordable housing is much needed in our city. These new units are a wonderful addition to Whistle Bend as it grows into one of our largest neighbourhoods.”
“We are honoured to support the River Bend project, an important initiative for Ta’an Kwäch’än community. We value the Da Daghay Development Corp. as our client, and want to congratulate all of the partners who have come together to make this development possible. On behalf of CIBC, we are delighted to be part of this initiative.”
- Rent in the River Bend Development will be “rent-geared-to-income”. Rent-geared-to-income” is 25% of the total gross monthly household (combined) income.
- The Yukon Housing Corporation provided $500,000 through the Northern Housing Trust Municipal Matching Rental Construction Grant to the Da Daghay Development Corporation for the construction of the River Bend housing development.
- 30 of 42 units will be allocated to clients on the Yukon Housing Corporation’s waitlist.\
- The Yukon Housing Corporation through the Canada-Yukon Investment in Affordable Housing Agreement is providing rent assistance for 30 units in the River Bend housing development to improve housing affordability for vulnerable Yukoners.
- The development will consist of three low maintenance, supergreen and high efficiency principle buildings, surrounded by forest and an abundance of green space. Each building will contain 14 units ranging from 1-3 bedrooms.
CEO, Da Daghay Development Corporation
Communications Officer, Ta’an Kwach’an Council
867-668-3613 ext. 204
Communications, Yukon Housing Corporation