OTTAWA, October 5, 2017 — The Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), hosted a National Housing Strategy Expert Roundtable in Ottawa today.
The meeting, which included housing experts and some stakeholders from across Canada, as well as the US and Europe, was held to review and test key public and social policy elements related to the National Housing Strategy (NHS), and seek experts’ advice to finalize the strategy and ensure its success before it is launched.
Expert feedback has been pivotal in the development of the NHS, with hundreds of opinions sought and received through the consultation process that took place in 2016 and targeted discussions in 2017. Those opinions and feedback helped inform many of the proposed policies and programs under the NHS, which will be announced later this fall.
“I wish to extend a wholehearted ‘thank you’ to the housing experts, who invested their time, knowledge and provided their expertise today, and during the last several months, in order to help maximize the success of the forthcoming National Housing Strategy. The conversations that took place and feedback received are vital in ensuring the National Housing Strategy achieves the outcomes sought by our Government.”
- The single largest commitment in Budget 2017 was to housing, with investments of $11.2 billion over 10 years
- The National Housing Strategy will be the first such strategy ever in Canada
- The NHS will re-establish the federal role in housing and introduce key tools to fill critical gaps, respond to imbalances in housing markets and spur innovation
- More than 20 expert roundtables and more than 20 focus groups with vulnerable peoples were held across the country during the National Housing Strategy public consultation phase in 2016
- During the consultation phase, more than 6,300 online surveys were completed and 478 written submissions uploaded. The social media campaign reached more than 1.5 million Canadians
- Ongoing targeted consultations for design of the NHS initiatives and implementation of new initiatives to occur in 2018/2019
As Canada's authority on housing, CMHC contributes to the stability of the housing market and financial system, provides support for Canadians in housing need, and offers unbiased housing research and advice to all levels of Canadian government, consumers and the housing industry. For more information, please call 1-800-668-2642 or follow us on Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and Facebook.
Office of Minister Duclos
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation